The National Estate section is primarily responsible for the management of all national lands (except lands within protected areas.). This also includes other lands that may be exchanged or otherwise acquired by the government.
The functions of the National Estate Section are:
- The processing of land applications such as leases, purchases and transfers.
- To inform the general public on the provisions of the National Lands Act.
- Provide land revenue collection services which include the following:
• Annual land tax
• Annual rent on Leases
• Purchase prices on the sale of national lands
• Stamp duties on the transfer of private lands
• Stamp duties associated with the discharge of mortgages
• Stamp duties/transfer fees on lease transfers
• Registration and Recording fees
• Certificate and Registry fees
• License Fees associated with the use of the seabed and river bank